Want Free Recipes and Menu Updates?
Sign up for our newsletter to get both! We'll automatically give you a free recipe download after you signup.
- 10-pound corned beef brisket
- 1 rutabaga, about 2 pounds, peeled and chunked
- 4 white turnips, peeled and chunked
- 10 carrots, peeled and chunked
- 10 parsnips, peeled and chunked
- 20 new potatoes, scrubbed and halved
- 2 heads cabbage, about 5 pounds total
- Chopped parsley for garnish
Put corned beef in large pot with water to cover. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer, uncovered, for 1 hour. Add rutabaga. Cook 30 minutes longer. Then add turnips, carrots, parsnips and potatoes. Cook, uncovered, 1 ½ to 2 hours longer. Meanwhile, bring another pot of water to a boil. Cut cabbages into 3-inch wedges. Place in boiling water and cook 10 to 12 minutes. Remove corned beef from water; let stand 10 minutes. Slice meat against the grain. Drain vegetables, and arrange corned beef and vegetables on large platter. Sprinkle with chopped parsley.
Suggestion: Serve with Mustard Horseradish Sauce (recipe below) and coarse-grained mustard.
Mustard Horseradish Sauce
Yields 2 cups
Yields 2 cups
- 1/3 cup heavy cream
- 3 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 2 tablespoons prepared white horseradish
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon ground white pepper
- ½ cup sour cream, at room temperature
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
Whisk cream in dry bowl with dry whisk until it holds soft peaks. Whisk in mustard, horseradish, salt and pepper. Whisk in sour cream and lemon juice. Drizzle in oil, whisking constantly.